Stroudsburg Normal School opened its doors on September 4, 1893.
A faculty of fifteen greeted a group of 320 students who had entered
the two-year programs in Elementary and Science Education. Although
the Normal School was originally privately owned, ownership was
transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1920, and the
name was changed to East Stroudsburg State Normal School. In 1927,
the right to confer the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Education
and Bachelor of Science in Health Education was granted, and the
School's name then became the State Teachers College at East Stroudsburg.
In 1960, the
College's name was changed to East Stroudsburg State College. In
1962, the College received the right to confer graduate degrees,
and the first three graduate areas were Master's of Education in
Biological Scinces, General Science, and Health and Physical Education.
In 1963, the College instituted a Bachelor of Arts degree, and in
1969, the first Master of Arts programs, in History and Political
Science, were approved. In November 1982, the State System of Higher
Education was authorized by Senate Bill 506.
officially became East Stroudsburg University on July 1, 1983. In
1950, East Stroudsburg State Teachers College first received accreditation
from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. This
accreditation was affirmed in 1992 and, most recently, in 1997.
East Stroudsburg University is a comprehensive university offering
an array of undergraduate and graduate degrees.