Stroudsburg, PA Real Estate
and Homes For Sale
Your East Stroudsburg Real Estate Company 570-517-2428
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301
East Stroudsburg was
settled by the Brodhead family in 1737 closing following the settlement
of Shawnee (Smithfield) which occurred in the late 1720's by the Depuy
family. The settlement of the entire region was by adventurers migrating
from the mid Hudson River Valley.
Daniel Brodhead was born April 23, 1693, in Marbletown, N.Y. And as most
settlersin this area, he also migrated from the mid Hudson valley. In
1737, Brodhead purchased land in present-day East Stroudsburg, near where
Pocono Medical Center now stands. Daniel, his wife, Esther, and their
six children built a home on 1,000 acres on Brodhead Creek then known
as the Analomink River. The Brodhead's named their property Dansbury Manor.
A few years later, Brodhead purchased an additional 500 acres on the west
side of the Bropdhead Creek in what is now Stroudsburg.
At this time the area was wilderness. The only neighbor of the Brodhead
family was Nicholas DePui (Depue) The families had pleasant relations
with each other and with the local peoples, known as the Delaware Indians.
In October 1744, Moravian missionary James Burnside built a small log
cabin as a church Dansbury Mission on land donated by Daniel Brodhead..
By 1747, there were nine missionaries, and 28 people took communion in
the small chapel.
By 1753, Brodhead replaced the small log cabin and erected two new structures,
a parsonage and a chapel. These new structures were located where Second
and lower Main streets in Stroudsburg are today. Ephriam Culver became
a Moravian and donated land for a burial ground to adjoin the mission
property. When it was created, the cemetery had only nine graves: Eales
Clarkin, Rachel Connelle, Frederick Countryman, Adam Miller, John Piers,
Jocaim Schoonmocker, Peter Schoonmocker, Golding's child and an African-American.
The Dansbury Cemetery remains on lower Main Street, Stroudsburg, and holds
about 50 original interments of early Monroe County residents.
1755 was a year of trouble. After years of quiet with the Delaware Indians,
the interactions between the natives and the colonists became strained.
The Walking Purchase of 1737 created lingering resentment and the natives
harbored negative feelings.
The Lenni Lenapes chose a new chief, Teedyuscung, in 1754 who ruled over
10 local indian clans. Teedyuscung was forced to move twice due to white
settlers having taken over his land. In 1755, with the start of the French
and Indian War, Teddyuscung was convinced to travel north to the Wyoming
Valley where Iroquois Indians and French military officials convinced
the Delaware Chief, along with 70 of his men, to rise up against the white
settlers living within the area of the Walking Purchase.
Teedyuscung and his Delaware tribesmen went on a warpath and attacked
and killed many settlers and burned their homes. Dansbury Mission was
attacked on Dec. 11, 1755, by 200 Indians. Eighty-nine inhabitants of
the mission were massacred with only a few escaping and retreating to
the Brodhead home, Dansbury Manor.
East Stroudsburg and
Pocono Medical Center
Pocono Medical Center
began as General Hospital, and was founded in East Stroudsburg on Courtland
Street in 1915. The General Hospital was the second of three hospitals
that operated in Monroe County during the early half of 20th century.
The first of the other two hospitals, the Stroudsburg Private Hospital,
founded in 1906 by the physicians of the Monroe County Medical Society,
became the Monroe County Hospital. The other was a private hospital started
by Dr. Carl B. Rosenkrans in 1924 on Washington Street in East Stroudsburg.
This private hospital closed in 1945.
In 1927, the General Hospital moved from its location on Courtland Street
to the J.C. Roop estate on East Brown Street, the site now occupied by
Pocono Medical Center. On October 30, 1930, the Monroe County Hospital
of Stroudsburg and the General Hospital in East Stroudsburg merged to
become the General Hospital of Monroe County. This new hospital was situated
on the East Brown Street property.
The General Hospital of Monroe County prospered and expanded its size
to accommodate the increasing demand for beds and services by the ever-growing
population of the Pocono region. In fact, in 1930 when the two hospitals
merged, they set a goal of the total number of available beds at 60. At
the 50-year mark in 1965, just 35 years later, the bed capacity nearly
tripled to 186. In 1999, the official bed count is 192.
Stroudsburg Normal School opened its doors on September 4, 1893.
of fifteen greeted a group of 320 students who had entered
the two-year programs in Elementary and Science Education.
the Normal School was originally privately owned, ownership
was transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1920,
and the name was changed to East Stroudsburg State Normal
the right to confer the degrees of Bachelor of Science in
Education and Bachelor of Science in Health Education was
granted, and the School's name then became the State Teachers
College at East Stroudsburg.
the College's name was changed to East Stroudsburg State College.
the College received the right to confer graduate degrees,
and the first three graduate areas were Master's of Education
in Biological Scinces, General Science, and Health and Physical
the College instituted a Bachelor of Arts degree, and in 1969,
the first Master of Arts programs, in History and Political
Science, were approved.
1982, the State System of Higher Education was authorized
by Senate Bill 506. The College officially became East Stroudsburg
University on July 1, 1983.
East Stroudsburg State Teachers College first received accreditation
from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
was affirmed in 1992 and, most recently, in 1997.
University is a comprehensive university offering an array
of undergraduate and graduate degrees.